Over the past month, as we recognized the 20th Anniversary of the Family and Medical Leave Act, advocates for employees and employers have been clamoring for changes to the Act.
On one hand, employee advocates are calling for a broad expansion of the FMLA that would allow for paid leave or broader coverage (e.g., lowering the threshhold so more employers are required to provide FMLA leave and extending the Act to part-time employees).
On the other hand, the employer community has called upon Congress and the Department of Labor to fix the ills of the FMLA. Count me among them. In a column I wrote for the Chicago Tribune this past weekend, I encouraged federal lawmakers to repair a broken FMLA before they tackle the issue of mandated paid leave.
My Tribune column naturally was limited because of space. If I had more room, as I do here, I'd share with lawmakers and the Department of Labor changes I believe are necessary to improve the FMLA so that it works for employees and employers for the next 20 years.
From my experience assisting employers administer the FMLA, I find that the FMLA and its regulations are (most) flawed in three fundamental areas: the definition of a serious health condition, the use of intermittent leave and the medical certification process. Here's what I'd encourage Congress and the DOL to change:
To continue reading the article, click here
This information is intended to be educational and should not be considered legal advice on any specific matter.